Zener Diode Equivalent Circuit Analysis: Finding the Operation Point

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the operating point of a Z-Diode through graphical solution and with the use of an equivalent circuit. It is mentioned that a measured OP of 15.35mA and 3.24V does not intercept with the calculated equivalent circuit graph. To accurately draw a characteristic line, the no-load voltage and short-circuit current must be found. The output for the Z-Diode is calculated to be around 5mA and 2.8V, but this is deemed inaccurate due to the circuit's behavior resembling a forward biased normal diode. The effect of a 2700 ohm resistor in the circuit is also questioned.
eapocs
circuit.gif

Hello, I've got a problem I simply can't get my head around. Basically I need to determine the OP of the Z-Diode through graphical solution. Thus I need the graph of the Z-Diode (which we drew by hand with help of some measured values) and the graph of the equivalent circuit.

Well, I also measured the OP for the Z-Diode with the given circuit, which is 15,35mA and 3,24V.

With my calculated equivalent circuit graph, there is no interception at those values, not even close.

One basically needs to find the no-load voltage and the short-circuit current to draw a characteristic line of the equivalent circuit.
I got 3,827V for the voltage source and 18mA for the current. With these values I would get an OP for the Z-Diode of ~5mA and 2,8V which is bullocks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the voltage is indeed as shown for Vg (18 volts with the positive terminal downward) then the zener diode is acting like a forward biased normal diode and will allow about .7V across it, so Vba will be .7V (or you could say Vab is -.7V). What effect do you reckon the 2700 ohm resistor has in the circuit under those conditions?

Related to Zener Diode Equivalent Circuit Analysis: Finding the Operation Point

1. What is a Zener Diode and what is its purpose?

A Zener diode is a special type of diode that is designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region. Its purpose is to regulate voltage by maintaining a constant voltage level even when the input voltage changes.

2. How does a Zener Diode work?

A Zener diode works by utilizing the reverse breakdown phenomenon, where a specific voltage level causes a sudden increase in current flow. This allows the diode to maintain a constant voltage level even when the input voltage changes.

3. What is the operation point of a Zener Diode?

The operation point of a Zener diode refers to the voltage level at which it begins to conduct in the reverse breakdown region. This is typically referred to as the Zener voltage or breakdown voltage.

4. How is the operation point of a Zener Diode determined?

The operation point of a Zener diode is determined by its construction, specifically the doping levels of the P and N regions. The breakdown voltage can also be adjusted by varying the amount of current flowing through the diode.

5. What are the applications of Zener Diodes?

Zener diodes are commonly used in voltage regulator circuits, overvoltage protection circuits, and as voltage references. They are also used in switching and signal conditioning circuits.