Solving a Linear Algebra Problem: Finding Coefficient and Orthogonal Matrices

In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient matrix for a quadratic form and using it to find an orthogonal matrix for a transformation. The normal way to do this is by considering the symmetric matrix that gives the equation. The properties of symmetric matrices, such as real eigenvalues and being diagonalizable, are useful for solving the problem. After learning about these properties and eigenvalues/vectors, the problem can be solved. However, there may be doubts in the last parts of the problem, particularly in expressing the translation as a matrix for the composite transformation. To solve this, one can refer to the scanned pages provided, which show the steps taken to solve the problem.
degs2k4

Homework Statement

vovcp4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

on P1), they only ask for the coefficient matrix, which I think is the following one:
1 -6 2
0 1 4
0 0 15/8

on P2), they ask for the orthogonal matrix P used for the transformation. I suppose I have to apply Gram-Schmidt of the coefficient matrix from P1) to get P, but I am not sure of it...
Could someone guide me to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
that matrix gives the quadratic form, but the normal way to do this is to consider the symmetric matrix that gives your equation, so if we call your matrix M, we can find the symmetric part by:
[tex] A = \frac{1}{2}(M + M^T)
= \frac{1}{2}(\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -6 & 2 \\0 & 1 & 4 \\0 & 0 & \frac{15}{8} \end {pmatrix}
+ \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\-6 & 1 & 0 \\2 & 4 & \frac{15}{8} \end {pmatrix})
= \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -3 & 1 \\-3 & 1 & 2 \\1 & 2 & \frac{15}{8} \end {pmatrix}
[/tex]

you can check this gives you the same quadratic form, and the properties of the symmetric matrix will be useful later on

for the next parts, i would start thinking about eignevectors...

note that you can prove symmetric matricies with real entries have real eigenvalues & are diagonalisable

lanedance said:
that matrix gives the quadratic form, but the normal way to do this is to consider the symmetric matrix that gives your equation...

Why? I mean, that is something you thought of by looking at the rest of the problem? I didn't know that was the normal way to do that...

lanedance said:
for the next parts, i would start thinking about eignevectors...
note that you can prove symmetric matricies with real entries have real eigenvalues & are diagonalisable

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try that and post back the results here again.

degs2k4 said:
Why? I mean, that is something you thought of by looking at the rest of the problem? I didn't know that was the normal way to do that...
i had a look at my textbook... ;)

the explanation is as follows, first any matrix can be written in terms of its symmetric (A=AT) and anti symmetric (B=-BT) parts, say M = A + B, where they are given by:
[tex]
A = \frac{1}{2}(M+ M^T), \ \ B = \frac{1}{2}(M- M^T)
[/tex]

now consider the quadratic form
[tex]
Q = x^T A x
[/tex]

now consider the quadratic form
[tex]
Q = x^T M x = x^T A +x ^T B x
[/tex]

Q is scalar, so clearly QT = Q, then
[tex]
Q = x^T M x = x^T A +x ^T B x = Q^T = x^TA x - x ^T B x
[/tex]

which gives
[tex]
x ^T B x = 0
[/tex]

so the anti symmetric part doesn't really do anything anyway..

then when you do it, you get all of the nice properties that come with symmetric matricies

Hello again,

Sorry about the late reply. Have been quite busy with other work.

After learning the properties of symmetric matrices and eigenvalues/vectors, I think I could solve most of the problem. But have doubts in the last parts of the problem. My main doubt now is how could I express the translation of section (3) as a matrix to be used in (4) for the composite transformation...

I uploaded 4 scanned pages of what I have done so far:

http://i50.tinypic.com/zsvlmg.jpg"
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zyydkh.jpg"
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mynbqb.jpg"
http://i47.tinypic.com/bjipmc.jpg"

I would be very grateful if someone could check it...
Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Could some please check if this is ok, specially parts 3-5?

Thanks

Page 1 : sections (1) and (2) of the problem
zsvlmg.jpg

Page 2 : section (2) (cont)
1zyydkh.jpg

Page 3 : section (3)
2mynbqb.jpg

Page 4 : section (4) and (5)
bjipmc.jpg

Attachments

• zsvlmg.jpg
    zsvlmg.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 1zyydkh.jpg
    1zyydkh.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 2mynbqb.jpg
    2mynbqb.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 318

Related to Solving a Linear Algebra Problem: Finding Coefficient and Orthogonal Matrices

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their transformations.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer graphics, and economics. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Other important concepts include determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and vector spaces.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in data analysis?

Linear Algebra is essential for data analysis as it provides the tools for organizing and manipulating large datasets. It is used to perform operations such as data compression, dimensionality reduction, and data visualization. Linear Algebra is also used in machine learning algorithms for data classification and prediction.

5. What are some common applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has a wide range of applications, including computer graphics, signal processing, cryptography, and robotics. It is also used in engineering for solving problems related to electric circuits and control systems. In physics, Linear Algebra is used to represent physical systems and solve problems in mechanics and quantum mechanics.