Thoughts on how to seal ash dump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Apologies as I don’t know the correct name but... as I prep for my Ashford arrival, the area where ashes are pushed down in my hearth clean out is drafty and cold air is pushing in.

So my question is should this be sealed up some how?
3bcb463704fe508ddba6e5f066d29784.jpgdacc07600a14f5e703dd5e65ce59f33c.jpg
With grate over the hole and the hole exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies as I don’t know the correct name but... as I prep for my Ashford arrival, the area where ashes are pushed down in my hearth clean out is drafty and cold air is pushing in.

So my question is should this be sealed up some how?
View attachment 234821
View attachment 234822
With grate over the hole and the hole exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We typically just silicone down a scrap of galvanized or stainless sheet

Out of curiosity does your ash dump have an exit below somewhere? Mine did not, just a cinder block sealed pit. So I never sealed mine when I had my insert installed.

Out of curiosity does your ash dump have an exit below somewhere? Mine did not, just a cinder block sealed pit. So I never sealed mine when I had my insert installed.

Yes.. bout 4 feet down. It’s a drafty little buger..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stuff them full of Roxul and silicone a piece of sheet metal over the hole.

I used a 8" x 8" piece of steel 1/8 inch thick. I put some stove cement down on the floor of the fire pit before I placed it down. I used thicker metal because one of the feet of my insert was landing on top of the ash dump door, and I thought that the added thickness could not hurt when my insert weighs in at ~ 500 lbs.