Plain as a pikestaff dwarves, gnomes and halflings?

The place for general (edition-neutral) RPG topics and all those non-roleplay related discussions. Please read the announcements in this forum before posting.

Moderators: ghendar, Warwolf

rounser
Lesser Deity of Dragonsfoot

Re: Plain as a pikestaff dwarves, gnomes and halflings?

Post by rounser »

I can only detect bad art direction on the painted pictures. It would be too much to ask for a return to black and white, but I think that's the only way to keep high standards. Man that 5E halfling bard sucks, the perspective is all wrong. "Dungeonpunk" is a thing, and I don't remember anyone saying they liked it.
Last edited by rounser on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

rounser wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 am I can only detect bad art direction on the painted pictures. It would be too much to ask for a return to black and white, but I think that's the only way to keep high standards. Man that 5E halfling bard sucks, the perspective is all wrong.
Once in a blue moon, I appreciate the odd "speed painted" piece. In no way do I want this technique to become the standard for future D&D artists.

--- --- ---
--- --- ---

^ This is simple, neat and clean while still evocative.
Realism is a spice to the meal which is a campaign. On some occasions, a sprinkle is required; at other times, a generous helping is a necessity. However, rarely (if ever) does it constitute a meal unto itself and it is far too easy to indulge to the point of repulsion.
--- --- ---
Sexy Half-Orcs and Orcs Ugly Half-Elves and Elves Plain as a pikestaff Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings
Mock26
Elder Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Mock26 »

rounser wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 am I can only detect bad art direction on the painted pictures. It would be too much to ask for a return to black and white, but I think that's the only way to keep high standards. Man that 5E halfling bard sucks, the perspective is all wrong. "Dungeonpunk" is a thing, and I don't remember anyone saying they liked it.
It is not perspective. There are a lot of 5th Edition drawings with halflings having overly tiny feet. It is just bad art.

Ezram

Post by Ezram »

Some of you will get a kick out of this (barely) pre-3e dialogue concerning halflings from the CRPG Baldur's Gate 2.

Realism is a spice to the meal which is a campaign. On some occasions, a sprinkle is required; at other times, a generous helping is a necessity. However, rarely (if ever) does it constitute a meal unto itself and it is far too easy to indulge to the point of repulsion.
--- --- ---
Sexy Half-Orcs and Orcs Ugly Half-Elves and Elves Plain as a pikestaff Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings
William Longsword
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by William Longsword »

Ezram wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:21 pm Some of you will get a kick out of this (barely) pre-3e dialogue concerning halflings from the CRPG Baldur's Gate 2.

Classic! :D

---

I actually like this fellow quite a bit:
Ezram wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 am
:thumbsup:
Angry Green Parrot🦜
Mock26

Post by Mock26 »

Well, gotta say one thing about later edition halflings, we know that they invented the g-string! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xabloyan
Ancient Deity of Dragonsfoot
Ancient Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Xabloyan »

tl;dr too many pics of the same thing
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

Xabloyan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm tl;dr too many pics of the same thing
You read pictures 8O?
--- --- ---
rounser

Post by rounser »

Mock26 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pmWell, gotta say one thing about later edition halflings, we know that they invented the g-string! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In real life, the g-string was invented by a fat hairy male biker who didn't want his undies riding up his behind. The truth ruins things sometimes.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Parzival
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Parzival »

Ezram wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:49 am
Edit: The following depiction of a halfling from the 5e PHB isn't as freakish as the others.

Apropos of nothing, a librarian I worked with bears a startling resemblance to this halfling— though only in the face and hair.
“Home is where the books are!”— Harry Dresden, Peace Talks (Jim Butcher)

My occasionally updated gaming blog: http://parzivalsplace.blogspot.com/
Generic Outlandishly Big Spacefleets! (Aka GOBS!), my free rules for massive tabletop spaceship battles: https://thegobspage.com/
(Why, yes, that site is very retro. So am I. Also, the e-mail address for it is defunct (for now). Contact me here instead.)
Parzival
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Parzival »

Ratbreath wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:37 am
Bedivere wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 am
Ezram wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 pm Um...
How is this even remotely a halfling? Because she has slightly pointed, human proportioned ears? The body proportions are completely human. I mean, sure, the sports bra says halfling, but her thong is more elf, don't you think?
I have another question. Why is she pulling her pants down? Is she going to pee on the totem pole? :|
I’m with you on this one. Yes, maybe she is comparing the tattoo, but the picture is absurd, completely anachronistic, and borders on lewd. :P I’m surprised it made it through WotC’s editorial system. But then, I’m not familiar with what they were doing from 3e-4e. The 5e art is definitely tamer— probably because they’re marketing the game to 10 year olds. Can’t have Momma see things like *that* 8O !

And that girl is NOT a halfling.

Generic Outlandishly Big Spacefleets! (Aka GOBS!), my free rules for massive tabletop spaceship battles: https://thegobspage.com/
(Why, yes, that site is very retro. So am I. Also, the e-mail address for it is defunct (for now). Contact me here instead.)
McDeath
Greater Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by McDeath »

But she knows that she likes big Totems.
Mock26

Post by Mock26 »

Ezram wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 pm
Xabloyan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm tl;dr too many pics of the same thing
You read pictures 8O?
He makes a very good point. People need to learn to edit out pictures when quoting posts in a picture thread.

Ezram

Post by Ezram »

William Longsword wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pmI actually like this fellow quite a bit:

:thumbsup:
I like seeing the basic demihuman races expressed through other fantasy counterpart cultures besides the generic North/Northwestern European mold (okay...Scottish :lol:). Also, if I ever actually run an Al-Qadim campaign (or have my players' characters visit Zakhara), I will have good reason to contemplate the nuances unique to "Arabic" Dwarves.
rounser wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:27 amIn real life, the g-string was invented by a fat hairy male biker who didn't want his undies riding up his behind. The truth ruins things sometimes.
Then again, if anyone here is into fat hairy male halflings/hobbits, we won't judge.

Then again...I think "fat", "hairy" and "male" constitutes the overwhelming majority of Shire folk :?. Are they as bad as dwarves when it comes to the sex disparity? Nope, but that standard isn't difficult to beat.
Parzival wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:17 am I’m with you on this one. Yes, maybe she is comparing the tattoo, but the picture is absurd, completely anachronistic, and borders on lewd. :P I’m surprised it made it through WotC’s editorial system. But then, I’m not familiar with what they were doing from 3e-4e. The 5e art is definitely tamer— probably because they’re marketing the game to 10 year olds. Can’t have Momma see things like *that* 8O !

Quite right. They can't be showing even an inch of excess skin...this is a family friendly game of killing sapient beings and taking their ancestral treasures 8).
Mock26 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10 amHe makes a very good point. People need to learn to edit out pictures when quoting posts in a picture thread.
My takeaway from that essay was notably different. Perchance, would you happen to be a diviner?
--- --- ---
Mock26

Post by Mock26 »

Ezram wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 am
Mock26 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10 amHe makes a very good point. People need to learn to edit out pictures when quoting posts in a picture thread.
My takeaway from that essay was notably different. Perchance, would you happen to be a diviner?
Perhaps you missed the part where he said, "too many pics of the same thing"?

Ezram

Post by Ezram »

Mock26 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 amPerhaps you missed the part where he said, "too many pics of the same thing"?
That could also mean "too much 3e+ stuff" or even "too much 2e stuff" (oftentimes, it is attacked/derided just as much as anything WOTC produced). Given the amount of innuendo and passive-aggressiveness I've seen on these boards, I can be forgiven for misreading such a needlessly cryptic post.
--- --- ---
sniperdoc
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by sniperdoc »

Mock26 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pm
Well, gotta say one thing about later edition halflings, we know that they invented the g-string! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kinda cute, whatever her race! Kinda looks like a Half Elf/Half Kender Wizard from my Campaign
Parzival
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Parzival »

Ezram wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 am
Parzival wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:17 am I’m with you on this one. Yes, maybe she is comparing the tattoo, but the picture is absurd, completely anachronistic, and borders on lewd. :P I’m surprised it made it through WotC’s editorial system. But then, I’m not familiar with what they were doing from 3e-4e. The 5e art is definitely tamer— probably because they’re marketing the game to 10 year olds. Can’t have Momma see things like *that* 8O !

Quite right. They can't be showing even an inch of excess skin...this is a family friendly game of killing sapient beings and taking their ancestral treasures 8).
:P

:wink:

Ezram

Post by Ezram »

--- --- ---

(Half-Kender)

(Half-Kender...yet again.)

--- --- ---

--- --- ---
--- --- ---
--- --- ---
Parzival wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 amApropos of nothing, a librarian I worked with bears a startling resemblance to this halfling— though only in the face and hair.
Did she happen to always wear a hat...the same hat, even?
--- --- ---
Parzival
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Parzival »

Ezram wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:23 am
Parzival wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 amApropos of nothing, a librarian I worked with bears a startling resemblance to this halfling— though only in the face and hair.
Did she happen to always wear a hat...the same hat, even?
Uhm, no. (I suspect there’s a joke or reference I’m missing here?)

Gnarley Bones

Post by Gnarley Bones »

I'm rather partial to this fellow.

I wouldn't think anyone asked for sexy halflings, but I suppose this is the Internet. When I think halflings, this is what comes to mind unbidden:

But, along those lines, I prefer the LoTR variety:

Also, just my favorite depiction of Gollum:

"The shadows of past ages crowded in upon us, chaotic and horrific, and I felt as though the ghosts of all the priests and victims who had walked those galleries for four thousand years were keeping pace with us. The vast wings of dark, forgotten gods hovered over that hideous pile of antiquity."
Robert E. Howard, The Voice of El-lil
Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Gnarley Bones wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm But, along those lines, I prefer the LoTR variety...
I agree.

Actually, if there's one take-away (for me) from these various "art threads" it's that mainstream fantasy art hasn't been to my taste in quite some time. Most of the more recent art would turn me away from a game that used it.
The problem is not that power corrupts, but that the corruptible are irresistibly drawn to the pursuit of power. Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

Parzival wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pmUhm, no. (I suspect there’s a joke or reference I’m missing here?)
Sort of, yes (some magical hoodwinking may have been at work). To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed you didn't pick up on it...you D&D veteran, you :(.
Gnarley Bones wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pmBut, along those lines, I prefer the LoTR variety:
I can appreciate respecting the inspiration, but I don't want to remain forever tethered to this one general interpretation of halflings.

--- --- ---
McDeath

Post by McDeath »

Look at those thick locks of hair. Dreamy feet and she uses the best conditioner and shampoo. Need to find Cyberpunk halfling.

Ezram

Post by Ezram »

McDeath wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pmLook at those thick locks of hair. Dreamy feet and she uses the best conditioner and shampoo.
If they were to wax, do you think that skin would itch when the hair grows back?

(I like to ask the hard questions.)
--- --- ---
McDeath

Post by McDeath »

Waxing like that is a sin. Styling curls with wax and coloring is art. I can't find pics but if i was an artist I'd be filling these pages with modern demi-humans.
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

McDeath wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 amWaxing like that is a sin.
Hm...I may be one-quarter hobbit/halfling. An eighthling, maybe?
--- --- ---
sniperdoc
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by sniperdoc »

Last night I dreamed that I met a woman with hairy feet!
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

sniperdoc wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:07 pm Last night I dreamed that I met a woman with hairy feet!
She could have been a Dwarf. Dwarves are hairy too and, last time I checked, their feet aren't explicitly exempt from being hirsute.
--- --- ---
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

--- --- ---
--- --- ---

--- --- ---