Using an Address Book to Combine Outlook Email Rules

Copper Contributor

I want to share a simple technique I'm using to combine a number of similar email rules into a single rule, as it might be useful to others. I'm using a "sender is in ____ Address Book" clause for a generalized rule, which also has the benefit of allowing addresses to be added (or removed) without altering the rule itself.
20200111_Address_Book_Driven_Outlook_Rule.jpg

This example is for incoming emails that typically contain a notice that a new online bill is available - something I don't want to miss.

As far as I know there is no comparable clause for a "sent to ____" rule. Lacking that, it seems one has to build the explicit list into the rule - and edit the rule if the list changes.

20200111_Explicit_Address_Driven_Outlook_Rule.jpg
This example has a list of addresses in one of several domains I have which have become spam magnets. (In most cases these are addresses I suspect someone submitted but mistyped the domain, though several like dell@___ were used for a particular supplier but that ended up in the spam-i-verse.)

This explicit list has roughly 10 addresses on it. For this sort of application it would be very convenient, and allow a better rule design I think, to drive it from another address book. But I can't find an equivalent clause. From a symmetry perspective, it feels like an omission.

Hope if you're buried in rules this might be of value!

0 Replies