Discussion topic: Full fibre confusion - houses on same telegraph pole with different availability

This message was authored by PaulfromBrum This message was authored by: PaulfromBrum

Full fibre confusion - houses on same telegraph pole with different availability

Hi everyone

With two of us working from home these days and two kids who stream a lot, I thought I'd investigate full fibre.

We have FTTP in the area, but it is showing as unavailable at our home.  Out of curiosity, I looked at other places in the road and could see that some of them had it available, and then when I looked closer, I could see that the houses opposite me on the road have it available, including the ones that share the same pole as us!

So it feels like there's a database error somewhere - houses with my postcode mostly all say no, whereas the houses with the postcode on the other side of the road all say yes...

Any ideas on what I can do about it?

All Replies

This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123

Re: Full fibre confusion - houses on same telegraph pole with different availability

@PaulfromBrum 

With Openreach full fibre each property is assigned to a fibre Connectorised Block terminal (CBT). It maybe that build work is still ongoing and that your side of the road may use another CBT that's not yet live.

However, it's best to check with Openreach.

First check their fibre checker: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

If there's no indication on when then fill out the contact form: https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

PaulfromBrum
Topic Author
This message was authored by PaulfromBrum This message was authored by: PaulfromBrum

Re: Full fibre confusion - houses on same telegraph pole with different availability

Thanks for replying!

So no, they're not even showing a plan for this side of the road, according to that link. 

I also can't see any of those boxes on the telegraph poles - do they have to put the boxes on every pole before anyone can order the connection?

PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

I've done a bit more investigating this morning - I live in a semi-detached home. My neighbour can have FTTP, but I can't. We are the same building!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @PaulfromBrum 

Can you put your details into the 'Address Checker' here and post the results?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

Hi James

I'm not sure I can do that - my phone number is showing as there being no data for this phone number.  My sky-provided phone number is VOIP these days, so maybe that's the problem.  Any idea how I can find out the other numbers?

Attached are some photos to show the problem:

IMG_3801.jpegIMG_3802.jpeg

@PaulfromBrum wrote:

Hi James

I'm not sure I can do that - my phone number is showing as there being no data for this phone number.  My sky-provided phone number is VOIP these days, so maybe that's the problem.  Any idea how I can find out the other numbers?

Yea thats why I said use the 'Address checker' rather than your phone number. It only works with BT numbers but all addresses work fine. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PaulfromBrum 

Try using the address option on the BT Wholesale lookup rather than the phone number.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 17.33.03.png

@PaulfromBrum 

Odd. And when you check the Openreach site does it just say they have no plans for your area? (Use your postcode & then click the 'Keep me updated' button at the bottom of Full Fibre

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

I am NOT a Sky Employee
PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 17.37.50.png

 And this my neighbour on the same pole, and we are the same building.

PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

Correct - no plans.

PaulfromBrum
Topic Author

Also confusing is that the checker says that I can get a maximum of 67Mbps connection, which doesn't explain why I'm getting double that.

@PaulfromBrum wrote:

Also confusing is that the checker says that I can get a maximum of 67Mbps connection, which doesn't explain why I'm getting double that.

Double? What package are you on? The max achievable on FTTC is 80mbps unless you are on G.Fast?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123

It's not a flat is it or if Openreach have multiple addresses for the same building?

Best to fill in that form I posted several posts back and state your next door neighbour can access their FTTP network

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion