Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw (F11A38)
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When printing illustrated colors, the colors themselves can be way off, especially for gradients. It does the same color swapping each time I print but I can't predict which color is going to appear as another. On my last document, all the purple came out blue. On other prints, colors get randomly dropped or swapped for another.

It doesn't seem to make any difference what operating system I use. I've printed from iOS, Mac, ChromeOS, and Windows. Photos print out basically okay, so the issue seems to just be with digitally created colors.

I just tried a couple of print tests and the results are confusing. The gradient is showing colors that are completely randomized—whereas when I tried the same colors as individual solid blocks, they're pretty close to what they should be.

Print tests.jpg

Years ago, I could manage the outgoing color for all prints by using ColorSync profiles. I haven't been able to locate any profiles for my printer or any color laser jets online. I also don't see any way to build a profile for my printer through automatic or manual calibration.

On the Mac I don't see any Color Management portion of the Print dialog that I've seen in years past.

Is there some way I can fix it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You are printing on an entry-level colour laser printer, getting those gradients will be mission impossible.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.