Home Made Adz - Carving a Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paleoaleo

Dec 16, 2004
California, USA
Hello folks, some friends told me about this great website and I came over for a look-see. Man, this is great! It's fantastic to find other folks who are interested in the same kind of things.

Thought I'd post some photos of an adz I made out of an old truck leaf-spring, and show you a bowl I made using the adz, and some other tools:

Here's a photo of a split sycamore log, my adz, and two small axes (one a Gransfor and the other fashioned out of a rail road spike) I'm about to use to make a bowl. The wood is "green."

Green%20Bowl%201.jpg

Here I've used my axe to flatten the bottom of the bowl, and to begin to shape the handles:

Green%20Bowl%203.jpg

Now I'm using a drawknife to clean up the handle areas, and the outside of the bowl:

Green%20Bowl%205.jpg

Here's a shot of the rough outside shape:

Green%20bowl%207.jpg

Using my home made adz to begin to hollow out the bowl. Note that the blade is easily removed from the handle. This is a style of adz common to the North/west Pacific Coast of North America.:

Green%20Bowl%208.jpg

The adz makes short work of the hollowing process:

Green%20bowl%2010.jpg

Next, I switch to a bent, spoon gouge to work some more on the bowl:

Green%20Bowl%2011.jpg

I also use another Pacific North/West Coast Indian style carving tool - a crooked knife to help hollow the bowl:

Green%20wood%2012.jpg

Here's a pic of some new crooked knife blades that I recently forged out of a couple of old "*******" files:

Crooked%20knife%20blades.jpg

Crooked knives are excellent for carving spoons and bowls and such!

Anyway...here's the almost finished green wood bowl:

Green%20Bowl%2013.jpg

I'll let it dry for a while (inside a paper sack so it dries slowly and avoids cracking), and then finish it up.

Green%20bowl%2014.jpg

I know it's nothing fancy! I'm not very good at carving, but do enjoy trying. I especially enjoy making things using tools that I made from scratch!

Tom Mills
California, USA

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
A man after my own heart Tom, thats a great tutorial matey, nice to see you making your own tools :biggthump , let us know how it dries out, are you going to sand it to a finish or are you going to leave it rustic looking? And welcome to BCUK buddy great to have you here :wink:

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
Looks great to me Paleoaleo :You_Rock_

Who needs 'fancy' when you have function in hand worked beautiful wood?

Keep up the good work :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
BRILLIANT - this is what its all about!!

Tom what did you use for the Adze blade?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
ohh I missed that - too many pretty pictures!!

Thanks Paganwolf (you C**KY G**) :rolmao:

Nov 24, 2004
West Sussex
Absolutely splendid old chap ! how do you like my English accent ? that is a wonderful read you have just shown me,thanks a lot mate. Love the bit about the paper bag, it was one of the many things I didnt know that I now do . Many thanks and welcome aboard

Paleoaleo

Dec 16, 2004
California, USA
Thank you for your kind words! My problem is that I get involved in too many things, and never spend enough time with any one to get very good at any of them! Jack of all trades, master of none! LOL....

I just started learning how to play with fire and steel and make my own wood working tools. There's something fantastic to me about taking a piece of scrap steel and turning it into a useful tool.

At the risk of seeming like a boor, I'll post some more photos of some tools I've made. As i've said to others before...aside from my internet friends, there aren't many people in my life who actually give a damn about this kind of stuff. My mates at work think I'm a bit nuts (daft, as you'd say), as does most of my family.

So here goes!

Here's a pic of the cutting edge of that adz above. I meant to include this pic earlier. I put the bevel on the outside of the blade:

adz%20bevel.jpg

These are my first attempts at making a bent spoon gouge. The straight chisel in the photo was made from al old file:

Imgp1491.jpg

The gouge was a bit tricky to make, but I had fun and it came out pretty well! Here's another pic of some nicer handles that I turned for them:

Imgp1508.jpg

Here's another gouge I made. This one is bent only slightly, and it has a much flatter cutting edge:

Gouge.jpg

I seem to get a lot of use out of a skew chisel, so I thought I'd set about making myself a number of them in different sizes. Here's a medium to small sized one I made a few weeks ago:

skew%20chisel%201.jpg

Here's a pic of a little forge I made out of a fire brick. I carved a chamber out of the inside of the brick, and have a small hole in the left side. You can just make out the head of the propane torch sticking in the side of the brick:

One%20brick%20forge%20fired%20up.jpg

Although I have a larger propane forge, I use this little one for heating small blades (like that skew chisel).

Here's a pic from the side, so you can see the set-up a little better:

one%20brick%20forge%202%20holes.jpg

I hope it's Ok to post so many photos.

Thanks again for your warm welcome and your kind words. It's nice to meet you folks!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE